Permanent Exhibits

MacBride Museum covers a half of a city block in downtown Whitehorse, Canada. It has more than 8,000 square feet of exhibit space on the natural, social, economic and industrial history of the Yukon with a focus on the development of the territory’s capital city, Whitehorse.

We are current expanding! Stay-tuned for new stories and exhibits that will be located in 15,000 square feet of new exhibit space launching in 2018.


The Taylor & Drury Gallery: Northern Explorers

This exhibit chronicles the development of the Yukon using the stories of Northern Explorers as its theme. Starting with the Bering land bridge, highlighting the stories of early explorers, the gold rush and the boom-bust cycle of mineral exploration in the territory, the two world wars, the construction of the Dempster Highway and continuing through to the present day. This exhibit features our spectacular display of Yukon gold.


First Nations Beadwork and Tools

The Yukon is home to 14 First Nation groups. Yukon First Nations include the Southern and Northern Tutchone, Tlingit, Tagish, Kaska, Tanana, Han and Gwitchin people. The Inuvialuit peoples’ traditional hunting grounds include northern Yukon. Respect for the land, its creatures and the forces of nature, combined with a rich oral tradition, form the foundations of the Yukon First Nations culture.
This display features traditional beadwork, tools and trade goods.


Wild World Gallery

The Yukon is home to 17,000 bears, 70,000 moose and 160,000 caribou. This gallery features common Yukon mammals and birds displayed according to their natural habitats. Here you can see a rare albino moose and come face to face with a seven-foot grizzly bear.


Gold to Government Gallery

Follow the Yukon River through the history of Whitehorse and the Yukon. This gallery takes visitors from early prospecting in the Yukon and the Klondike Gold Rush of 1898, to the rise of Whitehorse as the Yukon’s seat of government in the 1950s. On the way visitors will pass through an old fashioned confectionery and an 1898 Miner’s Saloon.


Sam McGee’s Cabin

“There are strange things done in the midnight sun
By the men who moil for gold;
The Arctic trails have their secret tales
That would make your blood run cold;
The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
But the queerest they ever did see
Was that night on the marge of Lake Lebarge
I cremated Sam McGee.”
When those famous words were written by Robert Service the name Sam McGee became famous. Visit the real Sam McGee’s cabin at MacBride Museum to hear the real story behind this poem.


The History of Energy Generation in the Yukon

This display was created in 2013, in partnership with Atco Electric Yukon. Chartered in 1901, the Yukon Electrical company began generating electricity for the residents of Whitehorse using a wood-fired horizontal piston steam engine. Over the years the company innovated to continue serving the Yukon today. Discover the story of this local company and see the Yukon's first turbine.

Yukon Energy: A Powerful History

This display was created in 2016, in partnership with Yukon Energy Co. It chronicles the company's beginnings and its contributions to the local community. It also outlines the varied forms of energy generation in the Yukon from wind to hydro to diesel and natural gas. Find out more at https://www.yukonenergy.ca/


Mining History

From the Klondike Gold Rush of 1898 to the new gold rush of 2010, mining has been a key driver of the Yukon economy for more than 100 years. This display explains different mining techniques used to gather placer gold in the Yukon.


Engine 51

Engine 51 was one of the first locomotives on the White Pass & Yukon Route railway, the railway that connected Skagway, Alaska to Whitehorse, Yukon. It also operated on the Taku Tramline, a 2.5-mile stretch of railway that connected two bodies of water in Northern British Columbia.


Whitehorse Inn Sign

The Whitehorse Inn was a community gathering place on Main Street for decades. Now the historic neon sign hangs at MacBride Museum and is lit each evening between 4 and 7pm during the fall and winter months.


Regina Hotel Sign

The Regina Hotel was located across the street from MacBride Museum on the corner of Front and Wood streets. It was owned and run by the Erickson family for 70 years.


Dominion Telegraph Office

1900 Dominion Telegraph Office &
Yukon's Telecommunications History Exhibit

This log building was constructed in 1900 to accommodate the changing needs of the town. The first telegraph office was built in 1899 across the river on the east bank of the Yukon River which was the original townsite for Whitehorse. The town shifted across the river once the White Pass & Yukon Route completed its railroad and situated the station on the west bank. To save on construction costs the doors, windows and most of anything that was removable was stripped from the old building to be used on the new telegraph office.

The new building served both as the telegraph office and as the residence for its operators. The head operator, George Fleming, lived in the building until his retirement in 1923 and was succeeded by Bruce Watson who held the position until 1927. At which point the telegraph office was moved to two neighbouring houses which have since been demolished. The log cabin was left vacant and for a short while the RCMP made use of the building in the late 1920s. The Boy Scouts also made use of the building as their headquarters for a few years. In the 1950s the building was leased by the Yukon Historical Society and functioned as the MacBride Museum from 1952 until 1966.

As a result of the many functions of this building, there have been numerous and undocumented changes to the building’s interior. This is not uncommon in telegraph offices across Canada, almost none of which have maintained their original interiors. As the telegraph became obsolete, most telegraph offices were renovated and utilized for other purposes.

The telegraph line ran from Vancouver through Ashcroft, B.C. to Whitehorse and north to Dawson City along the Yukon River, connecting the Yukon with southern and eastern Canada.

MacBride Museum of Yukon History
1124 Front St. Whitehorse,
Yukon Canada Y1A 1A4
Phone: (867) 667-2709
pcunning@macbridemuseum.com
Find us on Facebook and Twitter

Museum Hours WE ARE OPEN ALL YEAR
Winter Hours
September 1st until May 14th
Tuesday to Saturday
10:00 am - 4:00 pm

MacBride Museum is a non-profit society with charitable status. Your tax-deductible contributions help us collect, preserve and exhibit Yukon's history.
DONATE NOW